Justin Lathrop – founder of Helpstaff.me (now Vanderbloemen Search), Oaks School of Leadership, and MinistryCoach.tv – recently shared a top ten list of characteristics of effective church leaders that was created by Hillsong Church for its staff members. That list includes:
- being a can-do person,
- delegating but never dumping,
- having an attractive spirituality,
- serving with gladness, and
- empowering others.
Expectations matter. When your nominating team/committee seeks out new volunteer leaders, when your search teams/committees select new paid staff leaders, and when your teaching teams/committees craft new curricula for lessons on leadership do they all work with the same assumptions about what Christian leadership is?
- In a single sentence, how would you define Christian leadership within the context of a local congregation?
- What items would you place on a list of the top characteristics or attributes of such leaders?