Jonathan Merritt, senior columnist for Religion News Service, recently suggested that 2014 may be known as the “Year of the Bible” thanks to five films:
- “Son of God” | 20th Century Fox (February 2014)
- “Noah” | Regency Enterprises (November 2014)
- “Heaven is For Real” | Sony Pictures (April 2014)
- “Exodus” | 20th Century Fox (December 2014)
- “Mary, Mother of Christ” | Lionsgate Films (December 2014)
The good book will certainly be represented on the big screen through these forthcoming films. How significant their impact will be on our culture or even how much they may contribute to conversation about Christianity is hard to predict.
- Which if any of these films are you likely to watch?
- What is your initial response to the idea that taken together they may warrant the idea of 2014 as being the year of the Bible (at least in film)?