Alys Drake, communications manager for Howell Marketing Strategies, recently wrote a guest commentary in the Commercial Appeal that provides churches with a “social media primer.” She includes six basics:
- Flickr and Tumblr
- Geolocation (e.g. Foursquare)
- Other (YouTube, Ustream, Vimeo, podcasting, QR codes, Google+)
In the article, Drake states, “Information is spread at lightning speed via social networks like Facebook and Twitter in a way I could not have imagined even two years ago.” Indeed, not only is the speed at which information spreads growing faster, the tools enabling the spread are also increasing in number.
- How has your church’s overall communication strategy shifted over the last two years?
- Is your congregation using all or most of the tools on Drake’s list?
- How does your church’s communications team/committee and/or staff determine which tools to use?